Using Google Webmaster Tools like an SEO
Maile Ohye pretends to be the SEO of the GoogleStore (www.googlestore.com)
- Login to Webmaster Tools
- Sign up for email forwarding. It allows important messaging like Malware notifications or alerts for crawling issues.
- Find out the website’s objectives – in this case ‘online sales of Google merchandise’.
- Prioritise. Rather than trying optimising for everything, concentrate on product pages that already have visibility in the market.
- Use Webmaster Tools Search Queries to find the queries that are already doing well on search. We can * those that are receiving clicks.
- Maile goes on to show how she would make SEO changes to a product page that is doing well, a Meta description for example.
- She then looked at the Keywords option in the Webmaster tools. These show the keywords that are doing well on your site.
- HTML suggestions. Ensure that every webpage has a unique title and description.
- Look for crawl errors. This ensures that the benefits of external links are attributed to the right URL.
- Check internal links. The HomePage typically has the highest PageRank. Important pages on the site should have a link from the HomePage.
- Fetch as Googlebot to see that pages are retrievable and indexable.
- Site performance tool. The faster pages load the happier the user. Aim for under 2 seconds.